Tuesday, April 20, 2010

ch-6

How worse can life possibly be? I overslept and was late for work. Our Boss had come for supervision and everyone was in the conference room when I arrived. I felt sick to my stomach. I wanted to run away again. But running away meant a fate worse than death. As soon as I had entered the office Geetika exited from the conference room. She saw me. Now if I were to run away meant …. COWARDICE. And I was not a coward. Not yet. She glared at me. Babuli had already told me about the arrival of our boss. Now what?
“For your info, Mr. Deshmukh is in the conference room. Already your track record was very bad and now, see, you are late.”
She was talking innocent and concerned. But she was the butcher who sliced me into pieces.
“I know. My track record’s one of the worst, thanks to you. What more bullshit did you tell him, you filthy bitch!”
She was completely taken aback. All the anger in me had flared me up to such an extent that if i had anything in my hand i would have hit her unconscious, even dead. Probably she read the murderous look in my eyes or she was far too astonished to react. Anyways, she said:
“They, err.., are waiting for you.”
Saying this, she almost ran-sprinted away.
I felt wonderful. To be able to shout at your supervisors and to call them names on their faces is like a feeling which can’t be expressed. When I entered the conference room, meeting had commenced. Boss had his face to the board, so I was safe for the moment. Sheets of paper were passed around and we were given a time limit to answer them. There were 30 questions to be answered in 1 hr. it was a cakewalk for me. I completed 1 min. before and took the OMR sheet to the computer. The guy who collected my paper was surprised that I finished so early.
Computer checked the OMR sheets and announced the results. I scored the highest: 49/60! Each question was of 2 marks and –1 for each wrong answer. I answered 25 questions correctly, left 4 unattempted and 1 was wrong. As I had overworked and finished my work yesterday itself, he was very impressed. He threw some questions at me, which I answered coolly. He told the HR to give me a rise to 30k. I was literally floating in the air! I no longer will have to work under Geetika and I can even change my shitty house. I was earning as much as Geetika now. Atlast, all the promotions and perks which I was denied, I was going to get! Life is not that cruel!

No comments:

Post a Comment