Tuesday, April 20, 2010

ch-7

The first person with whom I shared this good news was none other than Geetika. I barged into her office and she looked as if she was going to cry. She looked scared.
“I am sorry, Geetika. I shouldn’t have shouted at you like that. It’s just that I was kinda stressed…”
She looked visibly relived.
“Its O.K. how did the conference go?”
Sometimes she asks the best questions…
“I was a runaway success! I’ve got a promotion to the post of supervisor and I’ll be earning 30k! I was the highest scorer in today’s E.T.(evaluation test). and he was very impressed with my answers to his complicated questions. It is to be seen where he’ll send me.”
She gave a million-dollar-smile. She looked really like an angel then. Misleading appearances!
“Congrats! That’s kinda hattrick!”
“Well, all thanks to you.”
She was not expecting that. She was completely taken aback and a softer expression clouded her face.
“Why on earth should you thank me?”
Her voice was thick with emotion.
“Because if I hadn’t shouted at you back then, I would have given the E.T. under stress and wouldn’t have been able to perform so well.”
I don’t know why but even my voice was so hoarse I thought I had been crying for ages. Both of us didn’t talk for a long while. Without me realizing it, I was staring at her. And to my utter astonishment, she was staring back, completely entangled in a kinda trance. Her expression was so innocent and childlike and a faint smile was playing on her lips. She was looking absolutely astounding… especially her cherry red lips in contrast to her milky white complexion. I came out of the trance first. She was completely lost. I coughed.
“Well then. Maybe, we’ll meet again.”
Her answer took me completely by surprise:
“What about tonight at 8 at ‘The Taj’ in Patel Street?”
I was lost for words.
“Well…”
“I’ll take that as a yes. O.K. Back to work.”
She gave me a smile I can never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment