Tuesday, April 20, 2010

ch-5

I was running. I couldn’t stop. If I did, the police would get hold of me. I thought and thought to myself…. Why did I have to kill her? Agreed she was a pain in the ass. Agreed she was absolutely horrible… Agreed killing her made me feel good like never before… A feeling of achieving something…. Still I wasn’t happy with the police… why don’t they quit following me????
When I woke up I was drenched in sweat. Probably all that running. Anyways, now that I was up, I looked at the time: 5:30am. I turned off my alarm and fought the urge to go back to sleep. I brushed and made breakfast. No hangovers. I was in a very good mood yesterday so I didn’t go for any bar patrolling. I felt wonderful. No headaches for the first time in 14 years. That would be a record. I thought why not go out for a walk? Even though I never exercised, I was as fit as a fiddle. Probably all those stairs. I put on a tracksuit and I went out to jog. The air had a calming effect on my mind. It had rained the previous night and the grass was still wet. There were puddles full of dirt and water at the sides. I fought the urge of jumping on them. A man of 35 and wanting to jump in the puddles! What a life really!
I saw a lot of things I usually used to miss during my busy day. Tightly clad girls and women with tops which shows more than it hides. Guys wearing body hugging T-shirts and ogling at women. Girls looking at the handsome hunks…. I wanted to give up drinking and to take up jogging. The one person I never expected to see on this glorious day was Geetika. She wore tracksuits as well. I thought she’d miss me. She didn’t. She actually crossed the road and came straight to me. I wanted to run away. But I didn’t. I hardened myself, ready to face her sarcasm. I wished for my dreams to come true.
“Good morning mam.”
“Morning”
Her response made my skin crawl. I really did want to run away. I kept quiet. I jogged infront of her. She progressively got left behind. Before I even realized it myself, I was running. Running away from this world which had given me nothing but despair and the humiliation work of maming people 6-7 years my junior. When I reached home, I was panting as though I had been chased by a pack of dogs.
“You alright?”
It was Sharon. She lived on the third floor. I have had many a crush on her. But it was useless. She had been in love the first time I met her and now she was engaged. Some life!
“Yep, I am alright. Just a bit of jogging.”
A frown creases her pretty little angel face.
“Are you drunk?”
My world stated revolving so fast that I thought I’d faint. For the first time in 14 years I don’t drink and here is Sharon suspecting me of being drunk first thing in the morning. I felt my heart wry with a grief I couldn’t possibly explain.
“No, I am not. Good day.”
I went into my room and slammed the door so hard that the frame almost came out. I cursed under my breath and crashed onto my bed. I was crying. Something which I had never done in my life after my school days. I cried and cried until I fell asleep. I wished with all my heart to see my last dream again.

No comments:

Post a Comment